Your Money, Your Home
Your Money, Your Home was a project which addressed the challenges faced by tenants in the Private Rented Sector.
This financial inclusion project supported people living in the Welsh private rented sector and helped them prepare for Universal Credit.
Your Money, Your Home (YMYH) was delivered in the counties of Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Cardiff and Merthyr Tydfil and helped PRS tenants at risk of homelessness due to money problems to:
- Take control of their finances to retain their home or secure more suitable accommodation
- Access appropriate financial services enabling them to manage their money and their lives better
- Understand that credit unions are a key tool to manage their money better and have access to sign up to their local credit union
- Access Wales Illegal Money Lending Unit for support
Under Universal Credit, tenants need to manage their own finances on a monthly rather than fortnightly basis. Yet our research showed PRS tenants were not fully aware of the impending benefit changes. Landlords were also moving away from letting properties to benefit claimants, fearing that they were more likely to fall into arrears. The project worked with all these stakeholders to raise awareness, improve tenants’ financial capability and increase landlords’ confidence.
- The project carried out home visits, drop in sessions and telephone appointments for PRS tenants who are at risk of homelessness due to financial vulnerability
- Signposted digitally excluded tenants to free, local training
- Shared the project’s findings with stakeholders across Wales and the UK