Social Christmas for shoppers
Social Christmas is not just for social enterprises - everyone can get involved and show their support.
Are you a shopper? Buy from your local social enterprises. Are you a business? Improve your supply chain and work with social enterprises. Are you from a local authority? Shout about the social businesses in your area to show your support.
To help, we’ve pulled together an events and gift guide to help you #buysocial during the festive period. From supporting your local community pub to buying products from a social enterprise, you can make a big difference this Christmas.
What does ‘buy social’ mean and what difference does ‘buying social’ make?
When we ask you to ‘buy social’, we are encouraging you to spend your money in a social enterprise. Social enterprises are businesses just like any other; they could be shops, cafes, sports clubs or experience centres – really any kind of business could operate as a social enterprise. The difference with a social enterprise is that when you buy products from them, your money goes towards helping a good cause. Whether that cause is to provide training and skills for disadvantaged people, help the homeless, or support a local animal shelter, the money you spend when you ‘buy social’ is being used to do good. So before you go out Christmas shopping this year, have a look at our Social Christmas Gift Guide for inspiration and see if the gifts you buy could also be helping others.
Ail Gyfle – Second Chance, Llanelli
- Ail Gyfle – Second Chance offer opportunities to ex-offenders to build confidence and skills. They sell wooden gifts from their showroom and workshop in Llanelli.
Anglesey Good Gifts, Anglesey
- Anglesey Good Gifts is a community shop and cafe selling a range of homemade gifts and works of art by professional and amateur artists.
Bullies Out, Online
- Bullies Out are one of the UK’s most dedicated and ambitious anti-bullying charities, they provide education, training and support to thousands of young people. To support this work they are selling individually hand painted ‘Hands of Courage’ fridge magnets, which you can buy online.
- Cletwr was set up to bring the community together to safeguard vital facilities and services in this rural area. They sell a range of Christmas themed produce as well as running their community cafe and Christmas themed events.
Crest Co-operative, Llandudno Junction
- Crest is a social enterprise in North Wales that works with and supports disadvantaged people. This festive season they are providing food donations and tents/sleeping bags for Hope Restored (a homeless charity). Need tables and chairs for Christmas family gatherings? A chest freezer to store your Turkey? A tree or bric-a-brac decorations? Crest has all this and more.
Fair Do’s, Cardiff
- Fair Do’s is a fair trade shop in Cardiff that sells over 2000 fair trade products including toys & games, musical instruments, jewellery, clothing, crafts, homewares and more. They are open Monday – Saturday from 10-5 during the run up to Christmas.
The Goodwash Company, Online
- The Goodwash Company are a Welsh social enterprise that donates 100% of their profits to local causes. Their products are cruelty free and sourced from the very finest natural ingredients. Shop online at www.goodwash.co.uk
Menter Fachwen, Llanberis
- Menter Fachwen is a social enterprise with person centred approaches to working with people who have learning disabilities. They have a fantastic range of locally produced festive gifts including wreaths, mince pies, pickles and chutneys, all sold from their shop in Llanberis.
Natural Weigh, Crickhowell
- Natural Weigh is a zero waste supermarket based in Crickhowell. As well as selling Christmas food items they also have a selection of zero waste gift boxes and stocking fillers available to buy
- Reseiclo collect waste wood and timber and transforms it into products in their Newport based workshop. They have a range of Christmas products including pallet trees, crates and wooden gifts which are sold in their city centre shop.
- The Seren pop-up bookshop returns to Chapter for the fifth year running from 17th-21st December. They will be in Chapter’s entrance hall from 10-6. There will be a fantastic selection of books and all books will be three for the price of two. The team will even gift wrap them for you at no extra charge.
Sirhowy Valley Honey Bee Company, Blackwood
- Sirhowy Valley Honey Bee Company is a social enterprise in the heart of the Sirhowy valley which educates people about the importance of honey bees. This festive season they are selling Hedge Row Honey and gorgeous Christmas Baskets which include three types of honey and a pure beeswax candle.
The Welsh Perry & Cider Society, Wales Wide
- The Welsh Perry & Cider Society is a not-for-profit membership organisation that aims to support and grow Welsh Cider and Perry production. They champion a number of independent craft cider makers from across Wales.
Avant Cymru, Christmas Party Dance Classes
- With Christmas around the corner, raise your group’s energy and self esteem through dance. Book a dance workshop and learn how to do your favourite dance, from ballroom to latin, and even dances featured on Fortnight. Contact email@example.com or call 07834402953
Bedwellty House, Breakfast with Santa
- Bedwellty House and Park is a vibrant and historic venue managed by Aneurin Leisure. This Christmas they are hosting a variety of events, from breakfast with Santa and Christmas fairs to festive lunches and choir performances.
Blaenavon Railway, Santa Train
- Enjoy a train ride to Blaenavon High Level, where, next to a roaring fire, you will meet the big man himself in the station grotto! The train will return to Furnace Sidings following a non-stop run to Whistle Inn. As well as the opportunity to meet with Santa, each child will receive an age appropriate gift.
Bryngarw Country Park, Green Santa, Craft Fair and Reindeer Trail
- Home to Bryngarw House, the park has over 100 acres of beautiful parkland to explore. Its native woodlands, formal gardens and secluded glades make it the perfect setting for explorers, young and old, to enjoy a day out in the open air. Bryngarw has a number of Christmas activities on this December, so book now for a special family day out.
Canolfan Y Fron, Late Night Shopping and Children’s Disco
- To raise money for the community defibrillator, a late night shopping event will take place from 7 until 9 pm on December 7th. There will be stall holders selling local produce, and hand made Christmas gifts.
- The children’s disco will take place on 21st of December from 6pm-8pm. There will be lots of dancing, Christmas songs and games like pass the parcel.
Canton Christmas Fete, Saturday 1st December
- Kick off the festive season at the Canton Christmas Fete on Saturday 1st December 2018 from 2.00pm to 8.00pm. There will be stalls with handmade gifts, decorations and provisions plus FUN Activities including: Sew a Christmas Wreath, Glitter up Ceramic Snowflakes, Have a go on the Potters Wheel and more.
Denbighshire Music Co-operative Christmas Performances
- Youth Brass band will be performing at St Asaph Cathedral’s Winter Fayre on Friday 30th November 5pm – 8pm. The fayre will feature Crafts, Food & Drink stalls, the Band & Choir Singing. Free entry and families are welcome.
- Senior Ensemble will be performing at a charity concert in St Thomas’ Church, Rhyl on Sunday 9th December. The concert is 17:00 – 19:00, and tickets are available on the door. The concert is also featuring local stars Richard & Adam.
Galeri Caernarfon, Sioe Nadolig Cyw 2018
- Join Cyw and friends for a magical Christmas show at Galeri, Caernarfon, December 15th and 16th. The show is in Welsh and lasts approximately 50 minutes. No ticket purchase necessary for children under 2 years of age (sit-on-lap policy)
Le Public Space, Newport
- This fantastic community owned pub in Newport will be hosting a range of Christmas events in December, from gigs to quizzes and even an open mic night. Pop in for some festive fun.
- The village shop and café are the heart of this community in North Wales. Pop in to buy some seasonal produce or Christmas presents or treat yourself to a mince pie.
- Santa makes a special visit each Christmas to the Llangollen Railway. Your decorated steam train will transport you in style from Llangollen Station to Carrog (renamed Lapland for Santa’s visit). Santa will give each good boy and girl a special gift on the journey & the adults on-board receive a Mince Pie & a tipple from Santa’s Little Helpers.
Plas Madoc Leisure Centre, Wrexham
- Plas Madoc Leisure Centre is putting on a number of Christmas themed activities for the community.
Porter’s Café, CAIS
- Porter’s Cafés support people furthest from the jobs market into employment through dedicated training programmes and volunteering opportunities. Why not pop into one of their cafes for a coffee and mince pie this Christmas?
The Raven Inn, Ruthin
- The Raven Inn is a community owned pub in North Wales which has been run by the community since 2009. Book your Christmas lunch with them between 25th November and 24th December.
The Riverfront, Newport , Festive Films
- The Riverfront in Newport has a wide variety of festive films on show this Christmas. So whether you’re a fan of the Muppets, or you prefer Die Hard, there’s something for everyone.
Saith Seren, Wrexham
- The pub provide a focus for Welsh speakers, learners and supporters of the language and culture. There are many events including Welsh and English entertainment, Welsh lessons or a leisurely time with friends. Pop in over the festive season and practice your Welsh.
Te a Cofi, Caernarfon
- Te a Cofi is a cafe that is open to the public which also trains young people in the catering field. They can provide buffets for special occasions and are hosting Christmas parties throughout the festive season.
- Techniquest is the UK’s longest-established science centre, with a mission to embed science in Welsh culture through interactive engagement. This year they are showing ‘A Techniquest Christmas Carol’ and also have a ‘Sparkles and Snowflakes’ themed toddler day for the budding scientists in your life.
The Waterfront Gallery Big Christmas Arts and Crafts Show, November 22nd – December 29th
- This exhibition showcases the outstanding work of resident exhibitors. The gallery is open Tuesday to Saturday, 10:30am to 4:00pm. Please note the gallery is closed for lunch 12:30 – 13:30.
Xcel Bowl, Carmarthen
- Xcel bowl is more than a bowling alley – all their profits go towards supporting local people in need through Carmarthen Foodbank, XCel Community Shop and Xcel Furniture. Xcel bowl has a variety of Christmas Party packages for friends and family, including bowling, drinks and discounts.
Social Christmas Gift Guide 2018
Download now (6.9MB pdf)
Our gift guide lists a number of social enterprises that are selling presents that are perfect for Christmas. You can buy directly from these social businesses or use the list as inspiration to find and support local social enterprises in your area.
Christmas events and activities
Download now (364.8KB pdf)
It's not all about gifts, here is a list of social enterprises that are putting on activities and events this Christmas. Be inspired to spend some quality time with your family, whilst also supporting a good cause.
Want to be added to the list? Get in touch.
Make sure to follow the hashtag #SocialXmasWales for updates about the exciting things our elves have planned!