Community Shares Wales
This project helps communities to build or transform their local services and facilities through finance from community shares.
See this page in: Cymraeg
The Community Shares Wales (CSW) project, funded by The Big Lottery Fund is designed to help communities run share offers to save or improve their local assets. Support can be offered at any stage throughout the process, from inception and preparation through to completion and after care.
Community shares schemes are a way of raising money to finance a project. They can be used to save local shops and pubs, finance renewable energy developments, transform community facilities, or fund new sports clubs; the choices are endless.
By investing in the services and facilities that matter to them, and having a say in the way they are run, communities gain a sense of ownership and grow stronger as they work together to change their future.
To find out more about the project, please visit the dedicated CSW website.
Training from CSW benefitted us immeasurably – it gave us a good grounding and understanding of how to pull our project together and run a share offer, and gave us the confidence to proceed.
Support on offer
Community Shares Wales can help you invest in your community, wherever you are in the share process. We know that every project is different—so our support is tailored to your organisation and share offer.
We’re with you from start to finish if needed. This could include help in:
- Registering the society
- Providing governance advice
- Ensuring your board has the necessary skill-set
- Developing your share offer
- Applying for the community shares standard mark accreditation
- Help in applying for extra resources to provide additional support
- Signposting and referring to other agencies such as funders
- Setting up a pledge scheme to test your idea’s viability
This is probably the most exciting time of the share offer, but it can also be the most stressful and challenging to your committee. Our team will be on hand as a critical friend and can provide whatever technical support you need around community shares. This may include:
- Helping you meet national standards of best practise
- Running an investor Q&A event
- Providing advice to external bodies about community shares or governance
- Helping you promote and market the share offer
The doors are open, the building has been saved, the tills are ringing and now the hard work begins. You’ve raised the money and the scheme is operational, but the challenges don’t stop here. It can be a bumpy road, but our team can provide advice and support on what to do once you’re up and running. This can include:
- Providing business and marketing templates
- Membership engagement
- Withdrawals policy
Loyal supporters raised nearly £50,000 to save their local pub. With help from Community Shares Wales and a team of volunteers, Le Public Space is thriving in a...
The community raised £905,000 to fund this project which provides over 300 local homes with clean power.