Housing co-operatives are groups of people who collectively own and manage their accommodation – from shared houses, to blocks of flats, to entire housing estates. Together they take responsibility for arranging repairs, making decisions about rent and who joins or leaves the co-operative. Living in a housing co-operative can be a good way to get affordable housing and gives people more control over where they live.
Co-operative housing can provide an innovative, affordable and alternative model for home ownership in Wales. The approach offers affordable housing in a climate where mortgages are difficult to get and house prices too high for many buyers.
How we can help
Our Co-operative Housing Project offers support and advice to new and existing organisations looking to develop housing co-operative schemes in Wales. Our goal is to develop and stimulate demand for the Co-operative Housing approach throughout Wales by;
- Providing access to expertise & advice about co-operative housing
- Providing skills development & training opportunities for members of co-operative housing schemes
- Supplying networking opportunities & sharing good practice
- Producing research that can inform the development of co-operative housing schemes
- Developing guidance for future co-operative housing schemes
Who we can work with
It’s been an exciting few years for co-operative housing in Wales. The co-operative housing project has helped develop 130 new homes, trained 230 people and has another 200 co-operative homes in the pipeline.
Home Farm Village
Loftus Village Assosiation
Old Oak Housing Co-operative
Want to know what a Housing Co-operative means to the people that live there? Watch this video from the Pobl Group, featuring residents from Old Oak Housing Co-operative.
- A View From the Foothills: Pioneer Housing Co-operatives in Wales
- Building homes, creating communities, changing lives: a strategy for scaling up and maximising impact 2017-2021
- Research into the Potential Demand for Co-operative Housing in Wales (PDF)
- An Introduction to Co-op Housing (PDF)
- What is Co-op Housing? (PDF)