Our expertise covers two broad areas
1. Supporting Wales’ economic growth
We support Wales’ economic growth by providing a comprehensive range of services to co-operatives, mutuals, social enterprises and employee owned businesses. We have been doing so successfully for 35 years. As well as recognising the value of co-operatives as a business model, we also believe that the principles of co-operation can be applied to the traditional business sector for the benefit of the wider economy. Co-operation can act as a business advantage. As experts in co-operation, we have a role in supporting traditional businesses to gain a co-operative advantage from applying co-operative values and principles to their businesses, for example through consortia working.
2. Delivering innovative programmes that strengthen communities & promote inclusion
We have considerable experience of delivering innovative programmes that strengthen communities and promote inclusion in a variety of different ways. We helped establish many of Wales’ credit unions and continue to work closely with the credit union movement to promote financial inclusion. We are the leading organisation delivering digital inclusion interventions in Wales and currently deliver Digital Communities Wales on behalf of Welsh Government.
Our mission and goals for 2017-2022
Between 2017 and 2022 we have set ourselves the following five goals. We will:
- be champions for an inclusive economy and co-operative working – leading the public debate, shaping policy-making, piloting innovative new projects and sharing successful ways of working
- lead the growth of co-operatives, mutuals, social enterprises and employee-owned businesses in Wales – working across all sectors, from small local shops to large manufacturing businesses, doing what it takes to help the social business sector to thrive
- enable people and communities to improve their lives and livelihoods, tackle poverty and help build an inclusive society
- harness the power and potential of digital technology to achieve a social purpose and deliver social good, and
- be a strong, independent co-operative organisation, ensuring our values underpin everything we do
You can download our strategy for 2017-2022 here.