This guide is aimed at helping community groups, housing associations and co-ops, local authorities and others in the initial stages of considering how to develop new co-operative & community-led homes (CCLH). It is not possible to develop a CCLH scheme just using a guide or a website. Advice will be needed along the way. This guide will help people to make early decisions about what type of scheme can be developed, and it signposts to where further advice is available.
This guide is particularly aimed at:
- Housing associations wishing to support CCLH
- Local authorities wishing to support CCLH
- Housing co-ops and TMOs wishing to develop new homes
Parts to the guide
01 Getting started - 1 Page
Providing an overview about how to start your co-op homes journey.
02 The case for co-op homes - 2 Pages
The benefits of CCLH schemes and the policy context.
03 Making a viable housing scheme - 1 Page
Overview of the different components of a viable CCLH scheme.
04 A sustainable community group - 10 Pages
Information about what makes a sustainable community group.
05 Supporting new developments - 10 Pages
How councils, housing associations and others can support new developments.
06 A realistic scheme proposal - 9 Pages
Overview of the different parts of a realistic and robust proposal.
07 Models currently available - 14 Pages
The different CCLH housing schemes available – with usage case examples.
08 Management and legal structures - 3 Pages
Information on how to manage a CCLH scheme and legal structures.
The following responded to our consultation on the draft guide with much useful information which helped to strengthen it:
- Anthony Brand – Homes & Communities Agency
- James Burgess – Welsh Government
- Andrew Dack – DCLG
- Pete Duncan – Social Regeneration Consultants
- Jon Fitzmaurice – Self-Help Housing
- Dr Chris Handy OBE – Accord Housing Group
- Catherine Harrington – National CLT Network
- Maja Luna Jorgenson – Greater London Authority
- Anna Kear – Cohousing Network
- Matthew Kennedy – CIH Cymru
- Lyn Kesterton – Locality
- Debbie Larner – CIH
- Bronwen Lloyd – Pobl
- Ed Mayo – Co-operatives UK
- John Montes – CCIN Housing Commission
- Selina Moyo – Community Housing Cymru
- Cath Muller – Radical Routes
- David Orr – National Housing Federation
- David Palmer – Wales Co-operative Centre
- Rose Seagrief – Power to Change
- Tamsin Stirling – Wales Co-operative Centre
- Carl Taylor – Redditch Co-operative Homes
- Sally Thomas – HACT
- Stephen Tranah – Welsh Government